Smoothies (and blended soups and sauces) offer a convenient way to boost both the quantity and quality of fruit and vegetable intake by reducing food particle size to help maximize nutrient absorption.
Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter at https://www.nutritionfacts.org/subscribe and get a free recipe from his new HOW NOT TO DIE COOKBOOK. (All proceeds Dr. Greger receives from the sales of his books, DVDs, and speaking engagements go to support the 501c3 nonprofit that runs NutritionFacts.org.)
Smoothies are one of the most requested topics, but for years there seemed to be little pertinent research. I was surprised when I reprised my search this year to find hundreds of studies, so it’s smoothie-time! I rarely do such long contiguous video series any more, but I had neglected the topic for so long I wanted to get them out. So this is the first of five videos I have coming out over the next two weeks. Stay tuned for:
• Are Green Smoothies Bad for You? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-green-smoothies-bad-for-you)
• Green Smoothies: What Does the Science Say?
• Liquid Calories: Do Smoothies Lead to Weight Gain?
• The Downside of Green Smoothies
Previous videos that touch on smoothies include:
• A Better Breakfast (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/a-better-breakfast/)
• Juicing Removes More Than Just Fiber (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/juicing-removes-more-than-just-fiber/)
• Testing the Dietary Compensation Theory (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/testing-the-dietary-compensation-theory/)
Other tips on getting children to eat healthier can be found in Tricks to Get Kids to Eat Healthier at Home (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/tricks-to-get-kids-to-eat-healthier-at-home/) and Tricks to Get Adults to Eat Healthier (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/tricks-to-get-adults-to-eat-healthier).
I also have past videos on the effect of cooking on nutrient loss and absorption:
• Best Cooking Method (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/best-cooking-method/)
• Raw Food Nutrient Absorption (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/raw-food-nutrient-absorption-3/)
• Sometimes the Enzyme Myth is True (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/sometimes-the-enzyme-myth-is-true/)
• The Best Way to Cook Sweet Potatoes (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-best-way-to-cook-sweet-potatoes/)
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-green-smoothies-good-for-you and he’ll try to answer it!
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Podcast: http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/
• Subscribe: http://http://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate